Monday, August 10, 2009

Three Little Words

Almost nothing can drive me over the edge like cell phone use during my class or having to constantly tell students in the hall to “Put it away.” But am I wrong in this? Is the use of cell phones just something I should accept or should I continue to fight an increasingly losing battle against an undefeatable foe…the egocentric teenager who is more technologically advance and tuned in than I could ever be. How much emotional and physical energy have I wasted dealing with students and their phone usage? The answer is too much, especially when I’m secretly checking my texts during the day! In a world where first graders have cell phones and Twitter brings us up to date news before the 24 hour news cycle even knows something has happened maybe it’s time for us to accept defeat, wave the white flag and figure out a way to incorporate this technology into our curriculum.

This change of heart happened after reading an article posted on “Dangerously Irrelevant” a blog by Dr. Scott McLeod. The good Dr. opens up this discussion by posting an article from the Des Moines Register about a school district and its current battle with technology. The article is nothing new or shocking, but what is interesting is the tread of responses generated by educators. These bloggers offered up a plethora of solutions ranging from the draconian to the cuddly, the impractical to the necessary. Until reading this discussion thread I was dead set against the use of cell phone technology in class. I saw the negatives, and there are many including the ability to cheat, organize fights or drug deals, and even sexting – yes I said sexting, google it if you have the stomach. But some pretty creative and brave educators have found ways to work with the technology. One of my favorites involved a simulation of the floor at the NYSE. As educators we state our main goal is to prepare our charges for the work force, well the work force includes cell phone technology. So what does this mean for my classroom? Will I be more accepting of cell phones and maybe even figure out a way to use “Twitter” (seriously I’m interested to see if I can bring this into my curriculum) or will seeing that blue glow emitting from a girls purse still enrage me? Can and should I stop saying "put it away."

What do you think, any good ideas for working with this technology or is it still too new and wild west for our classrooms?

http://www.dangerouslyirrelevant.org/2009/08/school-mobile-phone-jammers-and-shoe-organizers.html

2 comments:

  1. no ideas about "how" to incorporate it (sorry, i'm out of school) BUT incorporating it is a lot easier and probably better than trying to fight it; the problem is how do you engage the kid with a blackberry and his best friend whose parents don't have the money for their kids cell phone in the same class-or how to make it part of an assignment while making it "fair" for everyone.

    for other examples though--my company has launched an entire campaign exclusively on facebook/twitter. The PR is FREE and the "social" aspect of the networking keeps it friendly. how to make it work for you will take some brainstorming but if you're looking for a fresh example, go to "www.votetravelocity.com." katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! The issue of how to deal with those who have and those who don't is a biggie! (One of the biggest especially in my district where we all too often assume that these kids have everything, but forget that not all of our students are financially well off.)

    ReplyDelete